Modern Foreign Languages
Welcome to Modern Foreign Languages at Derry Hill School! Throughout Key Stage 2 the children learn French using the Rising Stars scheme.
We believe that in today’s society it is essential that our pupils can not only learn about other cultures but also begin to communicate and express themselves in French. We want to help to create linguists who foster a love of and grow to enjoy learning languages through speaking, listening, reading and writing. A high-quality languages education should foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. The teaching should enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers.
We use interactive activities to encourage pupils to listen, read, write, chat and sing in French with fun digital activities, animations and games. We identify any gaps in learning and have a coherent progression of skills and knowledge from years 3-6, using a comprehensive scheme that builds on the language learnt.
Our pupils are given the opportunity to explore the patterns and sounds of French through songs and rhymes, listen attentively and engage in conversations. They will begin to show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing whilst broadening their vocabulary.
- To enable children to understand and communicate in another language.
- To develop enthusiasm for language learning.
- To develop language skills and language learning skills.
- To give the children confidence in interacting with others.
- To increase the children’s global awareness.
- To awaken an interest in different cultures and life-styles.
- To develop children’s understanding of themselves and their culture.
- To encourage tolerance and a willingness to work co-operatively.
- To give a sound start for further development at Key Stage 3 and beyond.